Update: See the story here! Gosh, it was a very good day.
What a great holiday, huh? And how might we celebrate this most American dessert? Here are 10 ideas:
1. Share the ultimate "comfort food" by giving the gift of pie to a local "hometown hero". Stop by and visit the staff at the shelter for survivors of domestic violence, or the local police or fire department, or the librarians, and let these local heroes know that you appreciate all they do for your community.
2. Make pie! Bake your favorite homemade pie on National Pie Day. Great recipes and how-to tips at www.piepals.com
3. Spend time with children and make a pie together. You'll make great memories and the kids will be so proud to serve the pie for dessert.
4. Reach out to new neighbors you might not have met yet. Say “welcome” with a pie.
5. Have a pie potluck get-together. Everyone brings a pie!
6. Share pie. If you make or buy a pie, share it with someone! By its very nature, pie is meant to be eaten with others: family, friends, neighbors, even co-workers!
7. Teach pie making. Stage classes and demonstrations and samplings at stores and schools. Invite those who KNOW pie to teach a class. If you don't know how to make pie, ask a pie maker to show you or attend a pie-making class.
8. Pass along pie memories so that our pie heritage doesn’t fade away. Call older members of the family and ask them for pie recipes. Ask them to teach you how to make them. Talk about your favorite pies and the family history behind them. Publish your pie memories and recipes at www.piepals.com. Make pies often and serve them to the next generation.
9. Hold a charity pie-throwing or pie-eating contest or a pie auction. You could donate the proceeds to your local community food bank.
10. If pie making is not in your schedule, stop by your favorite pie shop or bakery and bring home a gift of love and joy for the whole family. The coldest of January days will be warmed by a special pie dessert.
Please! If you choose to do something special to celebrate, let us know! We'll post your Pie Day celebrations on Pie Pals. Send a picture, too!
Special thanks to the American Pie Council and Chiff.com for some of these great ideas.